Fashion design assistants help designers to create new materials, styles, colours and patterns for fashion brands and labels.
- Create prototypes and tailor garments
- Produce technical sketches
- Explain creative ideas to designers
- Create mood, shape and trend boards
- Get approval for designs from customers
- Work closely with factories and suppliers
- Meet with customers and fabric agents
- inspect products during the design process
Fashion company or retailer such as Next, SuperDry, Sainsbury’s, Tesco.
You could work in a creative studio or in a workshop.
40 – 42 Hours Per Week.
£14,000 – £23,000.
You will need qualifications either from:
- A university course
- A college course
- An apprenticeship
You could do a college course that teaches both design and technical skills which will give you the practical knowledge that employers look for.
- Level 2 Diploma In Skills for the Fashion Industries
- Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Clothing and Textile Design
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Fashion Design and Production
- T Level in Craft and Design
To access these, you’ll need 2 or more GCSEs at Grades 9 to 3 (A* to D).